#YouShape 2017 overview
We are very excited to announce that following the success of #YouShape 2016, where over 20,000 young people and volunteers got involved, 2017 will see a whole #YouShape month held in February. Obviously Youth Shaped Scouting is about everyday Scouting all year round, but UK Scouting is focusing on February to really support young people and volunteers to embed this traditional part of Scouting into what we do and celebrate what are already good examples of Youth Shaped Scouting.
We won’t be holding a national event like last year because this year is all about local impact and embedding good practice.
The outcomes nationally the national Youth Commissioner's Team are looking to achieve are:
- Raise the profile and understanding of YSS across the organisation. We have set a target of at least 50,000 young people across 80% of Districts to take part in some way.
- Increase the quality and quantity of sectional Youth Shaped Scouting such as PL Forums and Sixers meetings where young people get to express their ideas and gain more leadership opportunities.
- Youth Commissioners working collaboratively with their Districts/Counties to embed Youth Shaped Scouting into the four areas of Youth Shaped Scouting: Programme, Leadership, Management and Governance.
- Work in partnership nationally to shape the future aspirations of the UK Scout Association.
Consider your options and carefully make decisions on what your District/County will hope to achieve. One of the keys to its success will be making sure Youth Commissioners work together in Districts, Counties and Regions to plan, delegate and action what you want to see happen.
Some examples of what could happen in #YouShape month:
- Patrol Leaders camp for volunteers and PLs to come together. Run training on how to run successful Troop forums.
- County/District Youth Forum on tour, a team of young people could visit a large number of sections and support the leaders to hold youth forums.
- Executive training on Youth Shaped Scouting.
- Plan a youth shaped camp for your section. Week 1: design the programme. Week 2: pack and prepare for camp. Week 3: go on camp ran by the PLs for example. Week 4 review and reflect on how it went.
- Host a Regional #YouShape event at a campsite or activity centre and engage with young people and volunteers on relevant topics.
- Work with the ADCs/ACCs to plan programme support days/evenings for leaders to find out more about running a youth shaped section.
#YouShape 2017 resources
Activity Inspiration Pack
In the Activity Inspiration resources you will find 31 pages jam packed full of inspirations to help you plan your own #YouShape activities, whether that be a District Camp or running a #YouShape night. Remember, #YouShape is more than just a month, and these resources can be used at any point in the year.
This year, we’ve put how each activity links to badges from the section, making it even easier to link in to the programme. We’ve also included an evening planner for each section, so you can run your own #YouShape evening easier.
Wear their Necker project
To encourage Young People to take up adult volunteer positions in the future, we have launched the Wear their Necker project. This is all about getting Young People to shadow Leaders to see what the role involves and understand how they could do the role. This could be as simple as a Scout running the Evening for the night, to an Explorer shadowing a County Commissioner. Why not give a Young Person the challenge of being your County Commissioner for the day?
This year, we’re asking each Group and Section to pledge to take part in #YouShape and make sure their Young People are listened to. We have set up three levels of #YouShape involvement, starting at Bronze (for printing off the Pledge and displaying it in your group), all the way up to Gold (which means your group is working in partnership with Young People to make decisions). We have produced a factsheet to tell you more details about what the pledges involve.